Can you bend 7 layers of 1/16” maple veneer at once using a plastic wine pump and a vinyl bag?
Learn why the vacuum created inside a Thin Air Press is so powerful! Use a mathematical formula to work out how many psi are generated by the high pressure pump over the area of a skateboard deck.
Points of Learning:
- what is vacuum?
- what is atmospheric pressure?
- how is vacuum pressure measured?
- how many psi per deck is generated inside a Thin Air Press?
- why does the foam mold not crush under the pressure?
- when does water boil?
- why does the skateboard glue dry in the vacuum bag but not in the bottle?
- how does vacuum relate to outer space?
- what would happen if astronauts didn’t wear space suits?
- study vacuum technology in the sports, aeronautics and other industries
Demonstrations, Experiments and Activities:*
Levitation with Lung Power - incredibly, air can lift a person!
Balloon in a Bottle - why can’t you do it?
Suck an Egg into a Jar - it happens before your eyes
Magic Lid - atmospheric pressure vs. gravity, what’s the difference?
*descriptions of these are included in our Teacher’s Kits Mini-Curriculums
(with thanks to teacher Leanne McKee)
<<PREVIOUS / NEXT>>